Every time you switch your shower diverter, you expect water to come out of your shower, not from your bathtub’s faucet. Sometimes, it doesn’t happen that way and taking a shower becomes a hassle. If your shower diverter isn’t working properly, fix it yourself and get back to enjoying your daily shower.
This article explains what a shower diverter is, how to identify the problem and how to repair it quickly and easily. We’ll also include a few tips to keep your diverter working properly and reduce the chances of needing repairs in the future. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced do-it-yourselfer, this guide is all you need to get your shower diverter back on track.
What is a Shower Diverter?
Before we get into the details of how to repair your diverter, let’s take a step back and answer the question: What is a shower diverter?
A shower diverter is a valve that directs water from the bathtub faucet to the shower head faucet. There are many types of diverters, including knob-style valves and push-button valves. No matter the type of shower diverter you have, the basic steps to fixing it are basically the same.
Identify The Problem
The first step in repairing a shower diverter is to identify what’s not working correctly. Is there no water flow? Does water continue coming out of the bathtub faucet even when you switch it to the shower head? Or does water come out of both at the same time?
If you have no water flow, make sure that your home’s main shut-off valve is open and that your diverter valve is in the correct position. If these things are working correctly, then it may be that the inner rubber stopper is not sealing properly.
Step-by-Step Guide to Repair a Shower Diverter
Once you’ve identified the problem, it’s time to start making repairs. The following steps will guide you through the process of repairing a shower diverter:
- Turn off the water supply to the shower – Look for an access panel close to your shower. Turn the water shut-off valve until it is fully closed.
- Close the drain with a piece of cloth or tape – This will prevent any small parts like screws from slipping down the drain.
- Turn the screws behind the faceplate of the diverter valve clockwise – By tightening the screws, you can help ensure that the rubber seal is held firmly in place. If this doesn’t solve the problem, move on to the next step.
- Disassemble the diverter – Unscrew and remove the knob, stem, and other components that make up the diverter valve.
- Remove the old diverter – Use a screwdriver to unscrew the top of the diverter valve and then pull out the old cartridge. Take it to your local hardware store to find a replacement that fits.
- Insert the new diverter – Align the notch in the cartridge with the groove in the valve body and then push it firmly into place. Secure it with a screwdriver or wrench, depending on what type you bought.
- Turn on the shower – Turn on the water and confirm that the diverter is working correctly. If there are any further issues, you may want to consult a professional plumber.
Following these steps should ensure that your shower’s diverter valve is repaired and functioning properly. If the problem persists, contact a plumber for further assistance. Keeping your shower in good condition is essential to its longevity, and repair can help avoid costly replacements down the road.
Protect Your Shower Diverter And Other Plumbing Fixtures With Regular Maintenance
Remember that regular maintenance and inspections are key to ensuring that your shower works properly. Taking the time to check for any signs of wear or damage can prevent costly repairs later on. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, make sure to address it immediately. If you can’t handle it on your own, contact a licensed professional like Baylor Heating & Air Conditioning.
The experts at Baylor Heating & Air Conditioning understand that dealing with plumbing issues can be stressful, so let us take care of it for you. Our full range of services includes repair for leaking pipes, clogged drains, water heaters, and more. With our team on the job, you can rest easy knowing that your plumbing and heating needs are taken care of. Contact us today for all of your repair and installation needs!
The Team at Baylor Heating & Air Conditioning Can Help
At Baylor Heating & Air Conditioning, we have over 35 years of experience in providing superior service to our customers. Our team of dedicated professionals is committed to providing you with the best possible customer service and the highest quality workmanship. Whether you’re looking for a new system installation or just need regular maintenance, our experienced technicians are here to help. Contact us today at 812.425.8435 to learn more about how we can help you keep your shower in top-notch condition.